Sep 06 2010

Sharon Olds: “Back at the Beginning of the World”

Published by at 1:40 pm under Uncategorized

Although Sharon Olds’ poem Summer Solstice, New York City ostensibly describes one dramatic, emotionally charged and wholly anxious scene, the undercurrent of the poem tells of two distinct realities simultaneously running alongside one another. Firstly, there is the space that is occupied by the thoughts of death on everyone’s mind, and secondly there is the sphere of life and human connection that shines through despite the morbidity that threaten to swallow it. Olds evidences these two opposing themes by constructing two technologically disparate arenas in her poem. The first, the one of death, exists within the confines of technology and all of its coldness and distance, while the second, that of life, functions just outside the realm of technology and just within the borders of humanity.

The most glaring way in which Sharon Olds describes the technologically-focused venue of her poem is through distinct choices of diction. For example, by describing a bullet-proof vest as a “black shell” (9), and a safety net as an “implacable grid” (20), Olds implies that the people teeming at the scene of potential suicide are somehow non-human and machine-like. Even more dramatically, by  comparing the suicidal boy’s shirt to “something / growing in a petri dish at night in the dark in the lab” (26), Olds lends a sense of dislocation and fragmentation to an already eerily sterile scene. On the other hand, Olds portrays the scene of the boy’s salvation with such technologically-unencumbered warmth that the end of the poem leaves the reader thirsting for a cave and a campfire; the cops stand around the born-again man, they all smoke together, and both the participants and the reader escape to the simple, relaxed “beginning of the world” (40).

5 responses so far

5 Responses to “Sharon Olds: “Back at the Beginning of the World””

1.   smokeassiston 09 Apr 2013 at 11:55 pm

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with valuable info to work on. You’ve
    performed a foгmidаble actiνity аnԁ our wholе group can be grаteful to you.

My weblog: smokeassist

2.   kredyt bez bikon 02 May 2013 at 1:40 pm

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how
    can i subscribe for a blog web site? The account aided me a acceptable deal.
    I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast
    offered bright clear concept

my web-site kredyt bez bik

3.   Accelerate Eben Paganon 18 May 2013 at 3:30 am

Hello I am so glad I found your web site, I really found you by mistake, while I
    was searching on Yahoo for something else, Nonetheless I am here now
    and would just like to say thank you for a tremendous post
    and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to browse it all at the minute but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds,
    so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please
    do keep up the excellent jo.

4.   Auto Lockout in Burbankon 17 Jun 2013 at 5:22 pm

This post is truly a good one it assists new web people, who are wishing for blogging.

5.   Water Heaters in Oconomowocon 18 Jun 2013 at 3:39 pm

We are a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.
    Your website provided us with valuable info to work on.

You’ve done an impressive job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS